Gallery Director Aidan Meller is a specialist in modern and contemporary art and runs a gallery from Oxford and London. With 20 years’ experience in the art business, he works closely with private collectors and is often consulted by those who wish to begin, or further develop their collections. He regularly has original works in the gallery by the likes of Picasso, Matisse, Chagall, to older works such as John Constable, Turner and Millais.
Meller’s ancestral connection to the arts runs deep. His parents were historians who ran a small family museum; his father, in particular, is an avid collector of 18th-century work. Furthermore, his great-great grandparents worked on the Gopsall Estate, a Country House in Leicestershire and were surrounded by many treasures until the estate was sold.
An author on the subject of the art market and western art history, Aidan has been consulted by the media as an expert in his field, with recent appearances on the BBC and Sky News regarding affairs such as the exhumation of Salvador Dali. The Aidan Meller Art Prize has received media attention as a valuable resource for the development of the arts.
Aidan’s art discoveries include a collection of Pre-Raphaelite cartoons for stained glass from Heaton Butler and Bayne and Powell & Sons. Celebrated as a major Pre-Raphaelite find, the collection was authenticated by inhouse and external experts. Presently, Aidan is working with other experts in the field of scientific procedures for the authentication of artwork.
The Aidan Meller Galleries continue to develop their art programs; their extraordinary growth was highlighted in 2016 when Aidan took on an Elizabethan Manor to showcase artworks, as well as the Gallery in Turl Street in Oxford. He now shows some of the rarest and most exciting works in the art industry.
- Aidan has been an Art Dealer for 20 years
- Art and History of Art Degree, then training at Sotheby’s Institute
- Setting up an independent gallery in Oxford, now the longest established gallery in Oxford.
- Appearances on BBC News and Sky TV
- Sponsor for the Edgar Wind Society at Oxford University
- Corporate Member of the Ashmolean Museum
- Author of “Insiders Guide to the Artworld” published by Dedicated Art Editions
- Involved with a group of contemporary artists called the Oxfordians
- Aidan has a partner called Lucy, and has two children 13 and 10 years old
- Plays Real Tennis and member of Oxford University Tennis Club and Hardwick Tennis Club
- Collects Art, children’s books and coins